Here are some tips for people who are just getting started with blogging:
- Manage your expectations: Whereas it is important to be optimistic while starting out as a blogger, it is also important for you to be realistic. You need to be realistic with respect to things like how long it would take you to establish a good blog, how long it would take for the blog to attract a decent audience and how long it would take for the blog to start earning you money. Otherwise you would be setting yourself up for great disappointment.
- Blog about topics that you are passionate about: You are more likely to be successful as a blogger if you focus on topics that you are truly passionate about. These would be topics that you can comment authoritatively on. Remember, at its core, blogging is all about giving commentary on various issues.
- Blog about things that people are searching for: This is where things like keyword research come into play. If you want your blog to eventually get a lot of traffic, you need to ensure that you are blogging about topics that people are actually searching for. This, of course, can come into conflict with the second tip above – like where you find that the topics people are searching for are at odds with the topics that you are truly passionate about. For instance, your research may reveal that people are interested in knowing how to use the prepaid cards portal, at www.prepaidcardstatus.com. Yet, as per your passion, you would rather be blogging about fashion or about cooking issues… It can be a bit hard reconciling between blogging on what you are passionate about and blogging on the topics that people are searching for. But it is a challenge you have to tackle, one way or the other.
- Know who your target audience is: It is only after identifying your target audience that you would be in a position to figure out the specific topics you are to blog about. You can then also figure out the style you are to use in your blog posts.
- Set realistic targets for your blog: In this regard, you need to figure out how much time you will be (realistically) spending on the blog per day. And how many blog posts you will be (realistically) making per day. And how many social media posts you will be (realistically) making to promote your blog per day… and so on.
- Monetize your blog in the right manner: You need to undertake some research, to understand what monetization options are available to you, and what the pros and cons to each of these monetization options are. You then need to ensure that you monetize your blog in the right manner, and at the right time (for instance, after starting to get adequate traffic).
- Know how to get traffic into your new blog: You have to understand that building a blog is just half the equation. The other equally important half is that of getting people to start visiting the new blog. So you need to understand what your options for getting traffic into your blog are. Then ensure that you put in the necessary effort, to eventually start getting decent numbers of visitors to your blog.